Thursday, January 22, 2009

How Common is Young Earth Creationism?

Campus for Christ is all over campus advertising for their upcoming debate. Of course, I ended up having a run in with one of their members.

Their members tend to try to strike up conversation with anyone who passes by or shows a faint interest in their event. The person I ended up talking to quickly realized I was an atheist (I don't exactly hide it), and started arguing that there must be a god... because the earth can't be more than a few thousand years old.

I was amazed to find out that I was speaking with a young earth creationist. He seemed convinced that it was a tenable scientific position that more and more scientists are taking (when I asked where the peer reviewed journal articles are, he claimed there was a hidden agenda in the review committees of all scientific journals).

The entire encounter left me wondering - how common are young earth creationists in Canada? The only statistic I could find (from http://www.catholic.org/international/international_story.php?id=24747) claims "26 percent of Canadians believe 'that God created human beings pretty much in their present form within the last 10,000 years or so'".

The irony of all of this is that, under my sweater, I was wearing this shirt. If 26% of Canadians are young earth creationists, maybe the satire isn't as obvious as I had hoped (Poe's Law in action?).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So a campus for Christ member was arguing for Young Earth Creationism but was also advertising an upcoming debate in which the Theist clearly and categorically rejects Young Earth Creationism? WOW, you should have told him Dr. Craig's views. That would've been amusing to see his reaction.

BTW, did you go to the debate tonight?

Alayth said...

I did see the debate. I was a bit disappointed - Craig just stuck to the points he put out in the essay I responded to in a previous point, and diCarlo I don't think did a good job of attacking the intuitions Craig was relying on.

Anonymous said...

I think it depends which campus Christian group we are talking about when it comes to YEC.

I get the impression from our buddies over at the Navigators (though I have never asked) are broadly Old Earth Creationists, and off course I am pretty sure that most in the UW Bible Fellowship are Young Earth Creationists. However, my impression with CfC has been that they have a largely mixed membership, with many who are YEC, but also many who whole views similar to Craig's which are somewhere between Progressive Creationism (on the creationism end of the scale) and Theistic Evolution (on the evolutionary end). Over all though I do think that real hard core YECs, like the one you talked to, are somewhat less common here in Canada, unlike back in Bermuda where I run into them all the time.