Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Bands I Like

Most of the bands I like are very outspoken punk bands that write music with a message. I want to share some of these bands and their messages.

Bad Religion

My all-time favourite band. They started out in 1980 (7 years before I was born) and are still active today. They began as a classic 80's punk band, and their older songs reflect this. Their sound has changed significantly over the years. The lead singer, Greg Graffin, is an outspoken atheist and humanist (he recently received the Harvard Secular Society's "Outstanding Lifetime Achievement Award in Cultural Humanism"), and also happens to have a Ph.D in zoology and lectures at the University of California, Los Angelas.

Notable songs/lyrics:

Let Them Eat War (from The Empire Strikes First)
Let them eat war
That's how to ration the poor

Don't Pray On Me (from Recipe For Hate)
Now I don't know what stopped Jesus Christ
From turning every hungry stone into bread

And I don't remember hearing how Moses reacted

When the innocent first born sons lay dead
Well, I guess God was a lot more demonstrative

Back when he flamboyantly parted the sea

Now everybody's praying
Don't pray on me


Before You Die (from New Maps of Hell)
As you ruminate the hopeless sands of time,
Do you wonder how your life has been defined?
You know eternity can't ever change your mind.
So think! Think before you die!


Anti-Flag


Another great punk rock band, Anti-Flag's message embodies what I think of when I think about punk rock. They are against war, violence, greed, sexism, nationalism, and homophobia. All of the band members are vegan.

Notable songs/lyrics:

Right to Ch
oose (from Mobilize)
Judged by parents and the public
The fingers pointed at them
Well I'll point mine right back

They must realize

You can't change whom you love

And gender is not the issue


911 For Peace
(from Mobilize)
This is a plea for peace (world peace)
To the oppressors of the world and to

To the leaders of nations, corporate profit takers,
to the every day citizen Greed, envy, fear, hate, the competition has to stop.
When you see someone down, now's the time to pick them up

Set our differences aside and never look back, again


Emigre (from For Blood and Empire)
First they came for the Communists, and I did not speak out.
Then they came for the socialists, and I did not speak out.

Next they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out.

AND THEN THEY CAME FOR ME


Intro5pect


Although not well known, Intro5pect is an amazing band. They blend electronic music with their punk sound, giving them an original sound.

Notable songs/lyrics

No More Time
(from Intro5pect)
No more time
For petty insecurity

No more time
For social inequality


Crooked Lies (Make Baby Jesus Cry) (from Realpolitik!)
I'm a fucking anti-Christ

I believe in no god and don't need your advice
You make lists and rules for you
I'm not going to change your perception of truth
I am the enemy
'cause I believe in science over hypocrisy

Let reason and tolerance be the catalyst

We fight these battles to survive and exist

Don't try to tell us what to think

The War At Home (from Realpolitik!)
To live without a heart

Another migrant family is torn apart

The xenophobia's here

But life inside a bubble that is full of fear

Will crush your soul inside

Another empty shell full of national pride

To live inside a cage

Cutting grass or washing dishes for a slavery wage

No comments: