Let's talk about rights.
Let's talk about sexual orientation.
Let's talk about you, and an entire homophobic nation.
Will you follow me down?
Can we not seperate ourselves from such hate?
Fear and Loathing in Laramie by Protest The Hero
Gay marriage was recently legalized by a ruling of the California supreme court (it's about fucking time). It's interesting to see some of the conservative religious reactions.
The one I found most absurd was found here, where Pastor Mike McClure, defending his stance against gay marriage is quoted as saying "The state is infringing on the church's rights to follow what the Bible says. I'm not condemning homosexuals."
Apparently allowing gays to marry is infringing on the rights of the religious, because we aren't letting the religious use their zany myths to dictate laws! So I guess the state is infringing on Christians when they don't criminalize lying, worshipping idols, and worshipping gods other than the Christian one.
Here is the runner-up (from the same article): "I'm soul-sick over this," said Pastor Dave Sawkins of Venture Christian Church in Los Gatos. "The Supreme Court is promoting a lifestyle that is destructive," he said. "We're not angry at homosexuals, we're trying to protect the family."
Leave aside for a moment that the Supreme Court isn't promoting anything (just allowing it) and the disgusting assertion that the lifestyle of married gay is destructive. I am wondering how protesting gay marriage could possibly protect "the family". It's like protesting allowing blacks to have some possessions because you are protecting property laws.
I love how these quotes are always qualified with "We're not angry at homosexuals" or "I'm not condemning homosexuals." The thinly veiled attempts to look non-discriminatory while saying blatantly hateful things is either hilarious or depressing... I haven't decided which yet.
Monday, May 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You're exactly right, they're only pissed because they are mad at the state infringing on their percieved rights to infringe on other people's rights.
It's all a load of bullshit, just like the fools who want to teach fucking fairy-tales (ID and Creationism) in the schools.
Fuck them, fuck them right in the neck! That's all I have to say.
Post a Comment